Thursday, 1 October 2026

ONLY=> Tube Settings => 15 photos

 The Tube Setting is similar to the Flush stone setting. I am using a modified round bur that will make a seat for the stone to sit.


  In this photo, I will decide where the bearing will be cut.

 The stone is now starting to be held at the correct location in the Tube.
 
  You can see where the groove for the stone is being cut.


 This "Half-Round" is what I created many decades ago and it works so very well.

 With the Reciprocating Hammer I 'moved' the metal down on the edge of the Girdle of the stone. I never hit the metal hard.

The tip of the Hammer Anvil is held at a 45degree angle.

There appears that the rim of the metal has now a flange beyond the rim. This has to be removed as soon as possible!!

 You'll notice that the hammer anvil has not touched the stone. This what I expected, I can even set Genuine Emeralds in this Tube technique.

A gentle filing has removed that 'flange' around the rim. NICE?

 I placed the Tube securely on my shellac stick, as I didn't want any movement while Bright-Cutting the Bezel rim.


 This Bright-Cutting is an exercise in keeping the graver & Tube secure in this delicate time.
 If I used my ring clamp, the Tube might have moved and come loose.

Having the Tube melted into the shellac was a wise decision, as I wanted the Tube Setting to be set without any problems.

 I didn't break off the Tube from the shellac stick. I just heated the surrounded surface and it came off without any effort.

 

1 comment:

  1. ly appreciate the effort behind this post. The information is both practical and valuable. Hematite Stone

    ReplyDelete