Monday, 27 July 2026

"Flush Setting" aka 'Gypsy Setting' => 6 photos


  I saw this diagram of a Flush Mounted stone-ring, it had three huge errors in it's designing.

1) The first problem was that gemstone was set too high.

2) The second problem was that there was no connecting ring around the Pavillion of the gemstone. The chances of the stone getting loose are extremely high.

3) The third, this ring has a weak area at the bottom of the shank. No matter how thick the overall setting is, the weakest point is at the bottom. This is poor designing on behalf of the jeweller.

 If I was to construct and build this ring, I'd be darn sure I wouldn't sell it to anyone until these defects were repaired.


 These diamonds were set not in a 'Cut &Bead', or Pave' technique but in a Gypsy-Flush setting.
 The stones are "flush to the metal" configuration, the stones are now 'very smooth to the touch'.

 
 No matter how large, or small any of these stones are, it's the technique that is needed.

 For the "Reciprocating Hammer-Gypsy setting" there are rules to follow for the sequence of setting the 4 points of the stones.

 I drew this diagram for the jeweller or setter to accurately determine where the teeth of the "156C Bur" should align into the metal. 
 Any shortcut would not give you such confidence, trust me!

 
 Be careful, that the 'Table' of the stones should not be higher than the surrounding metal of the ring.
 Hence the name, "Flush Setting".

 

No comments:

Post a Comment