Thursday, 10 September 2026

Do you want to see a "BIG ROUND PENDANT" and how it was created? => 16 BIG ROUND photos.

 I am sure that many of you have seen pendants, but this one is off the charts because of its enormous size.
 This originally was a '4-piece pendant' & my shellac sticks were specifically designed to accomodate these unusually large pieces.

 For working on such large metal pices, I decided to use my "Adjustable Graver Handle". My gem-setting hand has to be relaxed at all times.
 I fashioned all of my gravers to be be made thin at the point.



  After warming (not heating) this circular disk, I prepared many sections of the shellac stick.
 I maintained that every section of the disk have full support underneath.

Here is the rim with freshly drilled holes and they are all at equal distance.

 This same rim is now ready for stone setting.

  I marked exactly where every diamond was to be set. There were spots where other sections of the pattern would then overlap.

 The amount of time involved including drilling of holes and accomodating where each stone would be set, took an unbelievable amount of time.  
    NO MISTAKES or ERRORS IN SETTING ARE ALLOWED. 
 The twist-drill hole must be drilled at a 45degree angle.

 The overall weight of this pendant weighed 43.5 grams, of 14karat gold. This is excluding the chain-hoop, that is seen overlapping the portable scale.

 Instead of overheating the gemstones inside the LION, I was careful in inserting the stones with this clamp.

 Many times I selected a group of stones, then we both changed our minds at the last moment, as the size was the critical problem.


I sellected the best size and quality of stones for the rim. 

 I carefully hand-picked which stones I would use. There was no deviation on which I would use.

 ( If anyone thinks that this is easy, wow...are they mistaken!) 

 The smallest group of diamonds were used around the Lion. The mid-range of diamonds were used in the =>I I I I I I <= section, the largest choice of stones were set into the large rim of gold.

 These "4 areas of diamonds" were set many years ago. My client asked me to enhance & improve the overall layout of gemstones. 
 The layout & planning was a real challenge! We both worked together as a team in deciding how the stones would look when set.

 In specific sections of the Lion & staff had genuine gemstones set as an improvent. We both decided that these stones added colours.


.
My client is now wearing his finished pendant. WOW, eh!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment