Saturday, 5 September 2026

"Cut-Down", Gem Setting #1 (introduction)

 Out of a Difficulty Scale of 10, this rate of difficulty lays somewhere in the range of 50. (Be prepared to get totally insanely frustrated and exhausted!!)

 My history of learning "Cut Down Setting" started in 1965, when many of you were not even born yet. My teacher was Stan Levine, of Blessed Memory, (in Toronto) began to show me this new method of setting diamonds and other round stones.

 I sat with him, discussed and saw just how intricate this setting style can be. Into three weeks of my 9 year apprenticeship, it was clear to me that this was not going to be easy.

 But I achieved this formidable task of understanding "Cut Down Setting", as we had no CAD then.


 The only tools that I had and still use are a series of Flat and Onglette gravers. As this is an ultra delicate setting pattern, you can set genuine Emerald, Ruby and Blue Sapphires plus any other soft stone in your inventory.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment